Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chapter 6 and 7 Case Study


Chapter 6 – Intellectual Property

    1. You have procrastinated too long and now your final paper for your junior  English course is due in just five days – right in the middle of final exam week! The paper counts for half your grade for the term and would probably take you at least 20 hours to research and write. Your roommate, an English major with a 3.8 GPA, has suggested two options (1) He will write an original paper for you for $ 100, or (2) he will show you two of three “paper mills” Web sites, from which you can download a paper for less than $35. You want to do the right thing, but writing the paper will take away from the time you have available to study for your final exam in three other courses. What would you do?
  • ·         I will do the right thing in making my own paper. The grade will be based on my work, so it is a pleasure if you get a grade that you know you are working it hard and you deserve it. I need to manage my time in doing my paper. Maybe I will get some idea from the resources that I can trust, so that it is easy for me to finish it. Because if you are the one who made it, when the instructor ask about the paper, you know what is the answer and you are confident that you can answer all the question because you know what is inside the paper you made it by yourself.

2  2. You are beginning to feel very uncomfortable in your new position as a computer hardware salesperson for a firm that is the major competitor of your previous employer. Today for the second time, someone has mentioned to you how valuable it would be to know what the marketing and new product development plans were of your ex-employer. You stated that you are unable to discuss such information under the nondisclosure contract signed with your former employer, but you know your response did not satisfy your new coworkers. You fear that the pressure to reveal information about the plans of your former company is only going to increase over the next few weeks. What do you do?
  • ·         I know what my rule as an employee is. If I came from other company, and working to the new one and they ask me about my old company trade secret, I will not tell them. It the reputation of my old company. Their success is their trade secret and they are working it hard to achieve it. I don’t want that I will be the one to destroy it. I left there company with a clean name and I will maintain it. If my new company will not respect my decision, it means that I can’t trust them. They want their company to be successful right away without working it hard to achieve it, by stealing my former employer trade secrets. They don’t know what ethics is, so there is no reason continue  working with them.

     3.  You have been asked to lead your company’s new competitive, intelligence organization. What would you do to ensure that members of the new organization obey applicable law and the company’s own ethical policies?
  • ·         If I am given a chance to lead one organization, it is an honor to me. To be able that my members obey any rules and ethical policies, it should start on me. I will show them what is in good being ethical person.  They chose me to lead one organization because they saw something that I am capable on handling one organization. As what I had told you that being a leader, it should start to yourself to be good in everything so that your members will be able to follow you or be a model to them.

      4. You are the vice president for software development at a small, private firm. Sales of your firm’s products have been strong, but you recently detected a patent infringement by one of your larger competitors. Your in-house legal staff has identified three options: 1) ignore the infringement out of fear that your larger competitor will file numerous countersuits: (2) threaten to file suit, but try to negotiate an out-of-court settlement for an amount of money.
  • ·         Being the vice president, it is in my hand the success of my firm. I will do whatever it takes to fight what is right and belongs to my firm. I will not ignore the other competitor, we are the one first on that idea, that is the key to our success, so I don’t want that someone will take that away from us. I don’t care I file suit for them I will fight for the truth.


Chapter 7- Software Development

1.  Should Apple conduct extensive screening of Apps before they are allowed to be sold to the App Sore?
    Why or why not?
  • ·         Yes, so that the Apple will know if one’s application is not harmful to the users. If one app also passed on their review process or application quality standards.
·          
2.   Do research to determine the current status of the FTC investigation of Apple for banning the use of the Adobe Flash     
     software on devices that use the iOS operating system?
  • ·         Yes.

3.  What do you think of Apple’s guideline that says it will reject an app for any content or behavior that they believe is over the line? Could such a statement be constructed as a violation of the developer’s freedom of speech? Why or why not?
  • ·         No, that statement will be a violation to the developers. They can’t judge something when they didn’t see what is the effect or impact  on that app to the users. Don’t say right away  it is rejected unless you see it!



No comments:

Post a Comment